Pages

I want to be you, Sofia Coppola

And not because you are married to the lead singer of Phoenix (although it doesn't hurt) and live in Paris.  Okay.  Maybe because you live in Paris.  But the thing is, I am going through this crazy, loony phase.  And I wish I could say with confidence that I know that this is what I want to do with my life (I'll get to that), but my practicality gets ahold of my this far-out dream and holds a firm grip.

So, I've always known (I can say this, because since Kindergarten I've wanted "to be an author") that whatever I end up doing with myself will include writing of some manner.  And the past few years I've become increasingly more interested in taking pictures, so I've come to the consensus that I will end up making that a habit at the least.

Now, thanks to my first (and second--the next night) viewing of Annie Hall this January (seems so far when you think of all the movies I've watched since), it seems that I have become more of a cinephile than I ever thought imaginable.  I mean, I thought I liked movies before.  Now I'm going loony bins!  I am going completely loony bins.  What have you done to me, Woody Allen?

Because now I have this lunatic, crazy, completely insane desire to be a director.  Not just a run-of-the-mill director, the Wes Anderson kind--you know, basically do everything, from production, writing, directing, music selection, and cinematography...The whole crazy, insane business.  Heck, why not sew up the whole wardrobe?

Clearly, I AM OUT OF MY MIND.  But this is what I daydream about these days.  In my sleep-deprived mind late at night after watching movie after movie for the third night in a row, making films seems like the answer to my love of writing, photography, creating a story with color and design, and of course, there's no escaping it--having things my way.  I'll try to settle down about it, but it's taking over my thoughts these days.

When people ask me what I want to be, I usually just say, "happy"; now I'm beginning to realize that to be happy, is to be who you want to be.  And who do I want to be?  Well, I know the title says Sofia Coppola, but what I really want to be is SO MANY THINGS.  It's slightly ridiculous.

Ah, to be a teenager.  We really are crazy, aren't we?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so understand wanting to be part of the creative process of making a movie!

For the longest time I was gearing towards majoring in animation (predominately stop-motion) in college, but after realizing that I'd probably loose my love for drawing in the process I decided that when I go to University I'm going to work towards becoming a film director. Actually more specifically and Art Director. I want to badly to set the mood for beautiful films. I want to be behind the magic of atmosphere that you feel when you watch movies like "The Darjeeling Limited", "The Brothers Bloom", and "Sherlock Holmes".

Let's both chase our dreams! Haha. Let's be crazy star catching teenagers while we can!

moonshinejunkyard said...

I LOVE THIS! YOU CAN DO IT! you should start making little movies now. look at wes anderson! he and his buddies made a tiny little 12 minute movie called Bottle Rocket and were then given funding to make it a feature length film, still one of my favorites of all time. i totally agree that filmmaking seems like the perfect art because of the massive amount of creativity you can personally put into the process, and believe me i think about it all the time myself. last summer i had a whole giant plan for a movie i wanted to make but unfortunately bringing projects to fruition is a whole different story for me. but back to creativity and passion, this is why i love great directors like godard and terry gilliam where you can tell they are obsessed with the entire package of FILMS and the great power that medium has: terrifying, beautiful, strong and fierce. use it for greatness! i know you will. are you thinking about film schools? my friend graduated from the one at UC santa cruz. let me know if you have any questions or anything.

Keri said...

Yes, you are a little crazy, but I love you anyways. As your mother, I am soooo thrilled to see you dream big. PLease don't ever stop doing that. You will become who you WANT to be, and something tells me that is going to be something pretty amazing. XOXO