Pages

mes reves...

In my dreams, I am in France. Or at least I would be if I had control over my humdrum dreams. Instead, I am humoring myself by watching French movies! Other than watching Amelie for the umpteenth time, I have watched Pierott le Fou and Coco Before Chanel.

Pierott le Fou was a very dramatic film, as well as very chic--there was a lot of "despair", "hope", violence, and deceit, as well as fabulous outfits.  I had never seen a movie with Anna Karina, although I had read allusions to her killer style. I need to watch more of her movies, as well as more of Jean-Luc Godard's, who directed.  Apparently they were married!  And one of his films was banned by the French government.  Also, he is considered one of the founders of the French New Wave.  Who knew?  I like trying to get the whole story of things.


Coco Before Chanel was wonderful.  For some reason, I got really choked up at the end.  I feel like I owe so much to a woman who just wanted to feel comfortable in the clothes she wore.  What a revolutionary!  I think of all the beautiful and magnificant pieces of clothing that are being constructed today, and they all have such humble and simple beginnings.  I have a secret:  I've tried to leave this dream in my more naive days, but I once felt that I was destined to become a fashion designer.  I don't know how it even came about, I just remember it being so obvious at the time.  Still a part of me finds an unusual amount of happiness confined in my room with a pair of scissors, a sewing machine, and a seam ripper--my favorite tools.  Now I don't have a single clue what I want to become.  Actually, I have a million clues, but they all lead to different directions!  Life is beautiful and frustrating and slightly terrifying--but always lovable.



By the way, Audrey Tautou is officially one of my favorite actresses. She is like a modern-day Audrey Hepburn!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love French films :) Especially those with Audrey Tautou! You MUST see Priceless if you haven't already. Les Parapluies de Cherbourg (The Umbrellas of Cherbourg) is a must as well :)

moonshinejunkyard said...

oh my dear, how did i miss this? i can talk with you about godard and anna karina until the dawn comes. they're my faves. pierrot le fou is even better the second and third times...you notice crazy stuff and weird little scenes get stuck in your head. that film is in my heart bigtime. have you seen jules and jim? oh lordy that's a great film. another one you might love is Band of Outsiders. french new wave is my dreamlife.