Pages

true grits



The things I would do for my Great-Grandma Roxie's cheese grits.  And fudge.  Oh man, her fudge.  I still remember the bitterness I felt when I found out during the summer of 2003 that the last piece had been eaten.

In my eighteen years, I've been lucky enough to have spent time in Alabama two summers, and two fourth of Julys (How American of me!).  I remember my first hushpuppy like it was just yesterday.  The best part of Alabama, other than spending time with family I don't usually get to see, is the food.  Namely... everything.  But especially the grits.  And fried seafood.  If there is one thing that I consistantly daydream about, it's getting my hands on some real Southern food.

As I was searching for something to eat for lunch yesterday, it hit me harder than it has ever hit before.  I said aloud, "I WANT GRITS!" into my innocent refrigerator.  It was time to fend for myself.  I had to try my hand at my own magical cheese grits.  Already excitingly thinking of a clever blog post title (I was quite proud of this one), I googled "cheese grits" and found this recipe (and was a bit disappointed when I spotted that the recipe was featured on a episode called "True Grits".  I thought I was so clever!  And then I saw that the recipe was posted six years before the movie came out and felt supercool again. YES.  Edit:  I'm not cool at all.  It was originally a movie in the sixties.  It's still clever though...  Right?  Right...).

Turns out, grits are pretty simple to make.  I'm sad I didn't try to make them earlier.  Still, they weren't nearly as magical as my Great-Grandma's.

As I was overdosing on the cheese, I realized that I love cheese more than should be allowed.  My cheese intake is probably 2392830 times more than the average human being.  So when I noticed this morning that I didn't have any cheese in my breakfast (I had yummy crepes with fruit) I decided to challenge myself to a cheese-free day.  It's 8:15 right now and I haven't cracked.  Yet.

7 comments:

PhoebeMae said...

I'm so glad someone shares my love for Southern food! Make me grits when I come home please?

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. I love grits! My mom makes them sometimes, and actually I make them sometimes soon. Very yummy.

Kate said...

TRUE GRIT WAS A 1969 MOVIE. COME ON, KAYLIE. but very clever, and looks yummy, and i've never had grits, or southern food, i think. love you.

Kaylie said...

Way to make me look good, Kate! Still love you. Kind of.

Erin Regan said...

They were delicious! Thanks for your love of good (cheesy) food.

Kate said...

you can delete my comment..."Kind of." I'LL REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK IN PORTLAND, AND I HAVE TO DRIVE 22 HOURS TO GET YOU BACK TO YOUR WELLNESS DORM FROM THE BAR. YEAH, YOU'LL WAIT THERE FOR 22 HOURS, AND YOU'LL BE DRUNK THE ENTIRE TIME.

Kaylie said...

The likelihood of me getting drunk in Portland is probably .000000000000000001%, but feel free to drive 22 hours to come visit me anytime! :)