Pages

not all resolutions are forgotten

This year, I haven't bought any clothes, just like I resolved to do.  In fact, this restraint has served its purpose as motivator to get me to sew more often for myself (aside from the constant altering and hemming that comes with being a 4'9 almost seventeen-year-old), because late the other night I found myself at the sewing machine, sewing up this floral dress.  Spring is already here, in my mind.  I'm riding my bike whenever I get the chance and singing to Coconut Records in my head.  The weather couldn't be better for such behavior.  Definitely not six more weeks of winter here, Punxsutawney Phil.



Happy Mardi Gras, by the way.  I'm Catholic, so I always give something up (until Easter) for Lent.  This year, it will be Facebook.  Last year, it was reading blogs and watching TV (okay, Gossip Girl was the exception).  I like Lent, because it makes me realize how I can simplify my life by finding out what I can (or can't) do without.  For instance, one year I gave up caffeine.  Ever since (we're talking like 4th grade, here) I haven't been much of a caffeine drinker.  One year, I gave up cookies (which is particularly trying because February is Girl Scout cookie time).  Well, I still love cookies.  About the blogs--well, I still love and need those too.  But the TV?  Since last Lent it had been unplugged for the majority of the time (okay, Gossip Girl was the exception).  So just a few weeks ago I replaced it with a record player. Regardless, I enjoy Lent.  Even if you aren't Catholic, I think it's a novel idea to practice restraint in at least one area of your life, whether it be a sweet indulgance or a social networking site.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

you looked great today! good job at sewing :)

moonshinejunkyard said...

yyeeeaaahh for not buying new clothes! i was looking through the clearance catalog thingies for delia's and victoria's secret and then i was like....hey! i'm not allowed to do this ALL YEAR! and i recycled them. HOORAY! so liberating. as for giving up blogs, it would probably be good for me and win me back gobs of time buuttt...nope. no can do.

okay, and lastly you are really inspiring me to try my hand at sewing. what a cute little number you made!

Anonymous said...

i know what you mean about the weather. i sat on my porch with my dog this morning and was surprised at how warm it was in the sun. a bike ride and some coconut records sounds lovely!

i'm not catholic, i'm orthodox but we also observe lent.
we don't really give anything up, although it is a fast period for us. we abstain from meat and dairy products. i'm normally fairly good about the meat since i don't eat much of it during the rest of the year anyway, but sometimes dairy is hard. although lately i've been finding a lot of great vegan recipes.
every year we try and watch zero t.v. during lent. sometimes there are a few exceptions (like heroes if the season hasn't ended yet).

Kait said...

I love you dress! I'm amazed at not buying clothes for a year. To think of it I really haven't bought anything in a long time either. You realize how much you already have.

I might start Lent late...I'm not religious but I like a constructive challenge : )

Kaylie said...

Thanks everyone! I love hearing your thoughts. :)

Anonymous said...

i don't have a lot of individual vegan recipes stashed away i just tend to find ones i love on the web.

itaintmeatbabe.blogspot.com is amazing
as is epicurious.com